Health Promotion & Injury Prevention
The mission of the Health Education division of the Columbia County Department of Health is to improve the Public’s Health through education, evidence-based interventions, and effective communication. The Public Health Promotion program educates the community about how to prevent disease in order to improve health and quality of life.
- Works with organizations to develop healthy policies and environments
- Provides community health workshops on healthy living and disease prevention
- Teams up with community partners to study the health of the community (Community Health Assessment) and conduct activities to improve community health (Community Health Improvement Plan)
Educational programs are available to groups on a wide range of topics, including:
- “Tar Wars” tobacco use prevention program for students (age range 4th-5th grade and above)
- Hand Washing and Infection Prevention, including the Scrubby Bear Hand Washing Program for young children; the Bacteria Blasters Program for older children; and Hand Washing and Infection Prevention for people of all ages (“Train the Trainer” workshops are also available)
- Scrubby Bear Hand Washing Train-the-Trainer Program for day care providers and teachers
- An introduction to “Healthy Monday – the Day All Health Breaks Loose”
- Implementing Physical Activity “Bursts” in the Classroom and Increasing Physical Activity During the School Day (a workshop for teachers and faculty); Increasing Physical Activity in the Child Care Setting
- Preventing Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Diseases
- Re-Think Your Drink: All About Sugar-Sweetened Drinks and their Health Effects
- Sexual Health and STD Prevention
- Emergency Preparedness, including American Red Cross programs Masters of Disaster for children and Be Red Cross Ready for adults (“Train the Trainer” workshops are also available)
- Falls Prevention for Older Adults
- Depression in Older Adults
- Immunization Topics
- An Overview of Columbia County Department of Health Programs and Services
- and more
We are happy to visit groups and organizations to provide workshops and presentations – for example, schools, summer camps, day care centers, worksites, businesses, senior groups, community groups, and many others. We look forward to serving you!
For health information, please visit our Links to Information Resources page.
Download the Columbia County Health Department mobile app: https://apps.myocv.com/share/