About Us

The Columbia County Department of Health (CCDOH), the county’s local health department, is dedicated to the protection and promotion of the health of the residents of Columbia County. CCDOH provides many important programs and services to community members.

CCDOH is mandated by the State of New York, derives public health authority through State public health law, and is governed by the county Board of Health. The Department of Health is led by the Public Health Director who is responsible for safeguarding the public’s health. A Medical Director, Board of Health, Health Committee (of the County Board of Supervisors), Professional Advisory Committee, and multiple task force committees provide administrative guidance and consultation to CCDOH.

Thank you for visiting our website! We hope you’ll find information here that will help you live happier, safer and healthier lives. We look forward to serving you!

Our Mission

Protecting, Promoting, and Preserving the Health and Well being of Columbia County, NY

Community Assessment Improvement Plan

The Columbia County Department of Health and its community partners have worked collaboratively to develop the Community Health Assessment (CHA) and Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) for 2016-2018. This CHA/CHIP summarizes county demographic and health data from a variety of sources and presents a community plan for making measurable improvements in the following health priority areas:

  • Chronic Disease Prevention,
  • Mental Health Promotion and Substance Abuse Prevention,

We are very excited to share the information with you (attached below).  The plan will form the foundation of many community health improvement activities, which we hope will help the county to be a healthier, safer place to live, work, learn, and play.  As the county implements its Community Health Improvement Plan, New York State is also implementing its Health Improvement Plan (also known as the Prevention Agenda for 2016-2018).  We invite you to learn more about the state’s Prevention Agenda by visiting their website.

We encourage you to share the documents and information.  We welcome your questions, suggestions, and participation in the improvement process.  Please contact us at (518) 828-3358 or ccdoh@columbiacountyny.com. Thank you!


  • What are your hours?
    • The Columbia County Department of Health (CCDOH) is open Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.  In the event of an after-hours emergency, please contact the Columbia County Sheriff’s Department at (518) 828-3344.

  • Where are you located?
    • The Health Department is located at 325 Columbia Street, Hudson, NY 12534, in the Columbia County Human Services building.  The Health Department is located on the first floor (lower level beneath the building lobby).

  • Do you take credit and debit cards?
    • We accept payment by cash, check, money order, and credit card.

  • What are your clinic hours?
    • Our free and confidential Sexually Transmitted Disease clinic is open every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.  Immunization clinics are offered every Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.  We also offer evening immunization clinics on the third Tuesday of every month between the hours of 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

  • Do I need an appointment for the clinics?
    • No appointment is necessary for our weekly STD clinic.   Immunizations are available by appointment only.  Please contact (518) 828-3358, option 4, to schedule your appointment.

  • What about flu clinics?
    • We provide influenza vaccine during our regular Tuesday immunization clinics by appointment.  We also have a schedule of community flu clinics every September and October.  For the current community flu clinic schedule click here.

  • Do you offer PPDs?
    • Yes.  Please contact the Health Department to schedule an appointment.

  • How can I get a copy of my immunization records?
    • If you are unable to access your records from your primary care provider and you received your immunizations in New York State, the Health Department may be able to assist you.  Please contact (518) 828-3358, option 4.

  • Where can I get travel vaccines for international travel?
    • While the Columbia County Department of Health does offer some routine travel immunizations, you may require additional vaccines based on your dates of travel and destination, which we do not offer.  The Rensselaer County Department of Health, (518) 270-2647, and the International Travel Health Consultants office in Poughkeepsie, NY, (844) 872-8362, offer comprehensive travel vaccine consultation and immunizations.  If you have questions about the vaccines offered at CCDOH, please call us at (518) 828–3358, option 4.

  • What type of testing is offered at the STD clinic hours?
    • We can test for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis and HIV.

  • When can I expect my test results?
    • Your results will be given at a follow-up appointment the week after your testing.

  • Can I be seen outside STD clinic hours?
    • Our Nurse Practitioner is only available on Wednesdays between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.  Please contact the Columbia Memorial Health Emergency Department, Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood at (518) 434-5678, your local urgent care center, or Greene County Family Planning at (518)719-3580 if you need to see someone right away.

  • I can’t afford vaccinations; can you help me?
    • CCDOH does offer a free vaccine program for children and adults without insurance.  Please contact our clinic for more information.

  • Do you take insurance?
    • CCDOH accepts most insurances.  Please call our office for further information.

  • Can you help me get health insurance?
    • If you are interested in signing up for health insurance, please contact the Healthcare Consortium at (518) 822-8820.

  • Do you provide physicals?
    • CCDOH does not provide physicals.  You can contact Hudson River Healthcare at (518)751-3060 or Columbia Memorial Health’s Find a Doctor directory to find a primary care provider.

  • Do you offer DNA testing?
    • CCDOH does not provide DNA testing.

  • Is my old Board of Health approval letter still valid?
    • According to CCDOH’s policy for approvals that are over two years old, the approval remains valid under the following conditions only: a record exists confirming the area where the soil testing was completed; the approved area is located on a legibly scaled survey map; there is existing approval correspondence from our agency; and the approved site or area remains undisturbed.

  • Does my property have Board of Health approval?
    • Please complete our Record Search Application and submit the completed application along with the required fee (check, cash or money order) at our offices during businesses hours or by mail.

  • Where can I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?
    • CCDOH does not issue birth or death certificates.  Death certificates may be obtained from the local town hall where the deceased lived.  Birth certificates for individuals born in the City of Hudson can be obtained through the City of Hudson Office of Vital Records at (518) 828-1030. Birth certificates for Columbia County residents outside of Hudson may be obtained through the New York State Department of Health Bureau of Vital Statistics website or by calling (877) 854-4481.  You can also access copies of death certificates through this website.

  • Are pregnancy tests & family planning services available?
  • I want info on medical marijuana or who licensed providers are?
  • Do you offer rabies clinics?
    • CCDOH offers free rabies clinics for cats, ferrets and dogs (donations are accepted).  Please check our events calendar for upcoming rabies clinics.

  • I found a pet with a rabies tag; how do I find the owner?
    • If you have found a lost pet with a rabies tag issued by our Health Department, please contact us at (518) 828-3358 and provide the ID number on the tag.  We will be happy to look up the record and contact the pet’s owner on your behalf.

  • What should I do if I suspect an animal of having rabies?
    • Please do not touch or allow any bystanders or pets to come into contact with a suspected rabid animal.  Contact the Health Department of (518) 828-3358.   If you, a family member or a pet have come into contact with a wild animal, it is necessary for you to seek medical attention and contact the Health Department.

  • I found a bat in my house. What should I do?
    • If you have found a dead or live bat in your sleeping quarters or home, do not remove the animal.  Please contact the Health Department at (518) 828-3358.  You can also view this helpful video provided by the New York State Department of Health.

  • Can I have my water tested?
    • We provide water bottle test kits, including instructions, from St. Peter’s Laboratory in Albany.  The test kits can be picked up at the Health Department during our regular office hours.  The kits must be delivered to St. Peter’s Laboratory within 36 hours of sampling.  There are fees associated with testing which vary depending on the type of test you want.  You can contact St. Peter’s Laboratory at (518) 525-5405 for further information.

  • I have a complaint about a restaurant or grocery store.
  • I have a complaint about a hospital, nursing home, or doctor.
    • All complaints can be directed to the appropriate office at the New York State Department of Health.  Hospital complaints can be made by contacting (800) 804-5447; nursing home patient care complaints can be made by calling (888) 201-4563; and complaints about physicians can be made by contacting the Office of Professional Medical Conduct at (800) 663-6114.

  • Where can we get elderly home care & home nursing services?
    • The Columbia County Department of Health’s Certified Home Health Agency closed in 2016.  For skilled nursing visits please contact the Eddy Visiting Nurses, (518) 274-6200, or the Visiting Nurses Association (VNA) of Albany, (518) 489-2681.

  • Do you test ticks for Lyme disease?
  • Do you offer CPR training?
    • We do not offer CPR training.  To find a training location near you, please contact your local rescue squad.

  • How can I dispose of old medication or syringes?
    • The Hannaford Grocery stores in Valatie and Livingston have syringe drop-off kiosks.  Out of date or unused medications can be dropped off at the following Columbia County locations: Columbia County Sheriff’s Office, Columbia County Sheriff’s Substation, Chatham Police Department, and Hudson Police Department.

  • Where can I seek help for Opioid addiction?
    • Columbia County offers a number of resources for individuals and their loved ones who are struggling with Opioid addiction. For a full list of resources in Columbia and Greene Counties, please visit the Columbia-Greene Addiction Coalition.